Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Heta Tiki]

Report on Petition of Heta Tiki.

Petitioner states that one Mr. John Harding holds a Crown grant for a portion of their land and kainga, and that judgment was given in his favour by the Supreme Court owing to an error in the grant. That Mr. Harding was induced to stay proceedings in order that some arrangement might be arrived at by the Government by which the ejection of the petitioner from their kainga might be page 50avoided. That, owing to the failure of the attempt at arrangement, Mr. Harding now threatens to put his judgment in force. The petitioners appeal to the House to give them some relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That it appears from the evidence of Mr. Clarke that a portion of the kainga of the petitioner was inadvertently included in a Crown grant to a European, and that in consequence the petitioner is suffering from a real grievance. That it appears to the Committee that the Government are responsible for the mistake made, and ought to take means to have the same rectified.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

23rd November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Heta Tiki.

E ki ana te kai-inoi kei tetahi pakeha, ko John Harding te ingoa, te Karauna karaati o tetahi wahi o to ratou whenua o to ratou kainga a whakataua iho te tika ki taua pakeha i te Hupirimi Kooti te take he he i roto i te karaati. I whakamutua e John Harding te whakawakanga kia ahei ai tetahi whakarite-ritenga ma te Kawanatanga ekore ai e pana atu nga kai-inoi i to ratou kainga. Na te korenga i oti taua whakariteritenga e mea ana a Harding kia whakamana te whakataunga a te Kooti. E tono ana nga kai-inoi kia whakaorangia ratou e te Whare.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

E kitea ana i runga i te korero a Te Karaka i pohehetia te whakaurunga o tetahi wahi o te kainga o nga kai-inoi ki roto ki tetahi Karauna karaati ki tetahi pakeha a no reira i pa ai tetahi tino mate ki te kai-inoi. E whakaaro ana te Komiti na te Kawanatanga taua pohehe a ma te Kawanatanga e whakarite tetahi tikanga e whakatikaia ai.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 23, 1877.