Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Utiku Potaka]

Report on Petition of Utiku Potaka.

The petitioner sets forth at considerable length his claim to certain portions of the Rangitikei-Manawatu Block, asserting that, although the claim of his tribe to certain well-defined blocks of land has never been disputed, only one member thereof ever received any of the money paid for the Rangitikei-Manawatu land, and in this case only because the recipient was domiciled with another tribe. Petitioner prays for inquiry and redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the claims set forth in the petition involve questions of Native title which, if reopened at all, ought to be inquired into by some competent tribunal capable of making a full inquiry. But, in the absence of evidence, the Committee are not prepared to say whether or not the case of the petitioner should be reopened.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

19th November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Utiku potaka.

Ko te kai-inoi e whakaatu ana i tona paanga ki etahi wahi o Rangitikei-Manawatu Poraka e mea ana ano hoki ia ahakoa kaore ano kia whakahengia te panga o tona iwi ki etahi wahi o taua Poraka ko tahi ano te tangata o taua iwi i tango moni mo taua whenua mo Rangitikei-Manawatu. A i runga o tenei ko taua tangata i tango ra i noho ke i roto o tetahi atu iwi. Ko te kai-inoi e inoi ana kia kimihia kia hoatu he tika.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko nga paanga e whakaaturia ana i roto i taua pukapuka-inoi e eke ana ki nga take Maori ki te whenua a ki te whakapuaretia ano ko te mea tika ma tetahi Kooti e kaha ana e mohio ana e kimi taua mea. Engari i te mea kahore he korero i homai ki te aroaro o te Komiti, kahore e taea e te Komiti, te ki mehemea e pai ana kia whakapuaretia ano te tono a nga kai-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 19, 1877.