Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Ngatiwhakatere and Ngatitutaiaroa Tribes]

Report on Petition of Ngatiwhakatere and Ngatitutaiaroa Tribes.

The petition refers to five blocks of land near the District of Manawatu, and the petitioners complain that only the names of fifty persons are on the certificates under the law of 1873, asserting that there are 250 owners. They further object to the land-purchasing operations of Mr. Booth, a Government servant, and object to payments being made to the fifty persons whose names are on the certificate, as well as to the insufficiency of the price proposed to be paid.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the statements of the petitioners refer to matters which should receive the attention of the Government.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

13th November, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Ngatiwhakatere me Ngatitutaiaroa.

Ko taua pukapuka-inoi e mea aua mo nga poraka whenua e rima kei te Takiwa o Manawatu, e whakahe ana nga kai-inoi ki te meatanga kia rima te kau ano nga tangata mo roto i nga tiwhikete i raro o te ture 1873, me ta ratou whakaatu e 250 nga tangata no ratou. E whakahe ana hoki ratou ki nga hoko a Puutu he kai mahi na te Kawanatanga taua tangata e whakahe ana hoki ratou ki te hoatunga moni ki aua tangata e 50 kei roto nei o ratou ingoa i nga tiwhikete, ki te iti hoki o te utu kua kiia hei utu.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko nga whakaatu a nga kai-inoi e eke ana ki etahi mea e tika ana kia whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Nowema 13, 1877.