Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Arihi te Nahu.]

Report on Petition of Arihi te Nahu.

The petitioner states that Mr. Henry Robert Russell is endeavouring to get possession of her land at Te Aute, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, alleging that he had purchased it from petitioner. The petitioner however alleges that she sold some land properly to Mr. Kinross, and that £1,700 which Mr. Russell gave her, or rather expended on costs of legal proceedings in Wellington, was not in payment for land, but to induce petitioner to stay with Mr. Russell, and not to go to other Europeans.

I am directed to report as follows:—The Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

25th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Arihi te Nahu.

E ki ana te Kai-inoi e mea ana a Mr. Henry Robert Russell (Henare Rata), kia riro i a ia tona whenua (to Arihi) kei Te Aute i te porowini o Haaku Pei i runga i te kupu kua hokona e ia i te kai-inoi. E ki ana te kai-inoi i hokona tikatia e ia tetahi whenua ki a Te Keneroiho (Kinross) a ko te £1,700 i hoatu e Henare Rata ki a ia, i whakapaua atu ranei e ia hei utu mahi whakawa i Poneke ehara i te utu whenua, engari he mea kia noho tonu ai te kai-inoi i a Henare Rata, koi haere atu ki tetahi pakeha ke.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—E pouri ana te Komiti notemea kahore ratou i whai taima ki te uiui i nga tikanga e taea ai e ratou te whakaputa i tetahi whakaaro ma ratou mo runga i nga kupu o tenei pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 25, 1876.