Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Henry Robert Russell]

Report on Petition of Henry Robert Russell.

The petitioner states that in November, 1872, he obtained from two Natives of Hawke's Bay a memorandum of charge on certain land in that province, as security for money advanced, and that this deed was duly executed and registered as an instrument not coming within the provisions of "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870;" that about eight months subsequently, an Act of the Assembly was passed entitled "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act Amendment Act, 1873," which, by retrospective action, provided that instruments of the nature of that executed in favour of the petitioner should be deemed to come within the provisions of "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," and that thus the petitioner has been deprived of his security. He therefore prays for relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—This Committee is of opinion that no sufficient cause has been made out for interfering with the provisions of "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act Amendment Act, 1873."

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Henry Robert Russell.

E ki ana te kai-inoi i tuhia e etahi Maori tokorua o Ahuriri tetahi pukapuka i nga ra o Nowema 1872 he whakaaetanga kia whakataua tetahi whenua kei te porowini o Haaku Pei (Hawke's Bay) hei punga mo etahi moni i tukua atu e ia, ko taua pukapuka i whakaotia i tauiratia i runga i te tikanga o nga pukapuka kahore e uru ana ki nga tikanga o "Te Ture Arai i nga tuku he i nga whenua Maori, 1870." E waru marama ki muri o tenei ka hanga e te Paremete tetahi Ture tona ingoa ko "Te Ture Whaka-page 25tikatika i te Ture Arai i nga tuku he i nga Whenua Maori, 1873," a no te hokinga o te mana o taua Ture nei ki muri ka meatia me tau te mana o "Te Ture arai i nga tuku te i nga Whenua Maori, 1870," ki aua tu pukapuka pena me tena i tuhia ki te kai-inoi no reira i kore ai e mana te taunga mo tana moni a e inoi ana ia kia whakaorangia ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te whare:—Ki te whakaaro o te Komiti kahore i whakaaturia mai he tino take kia whai tikangatia ai te "Ture Whakatikatika i te Ture Arai i nga Tuku he i nga Whenua Maori, 1873."

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.