Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Members of the Ngaiterangi Tribe]

Report on Petition of Members of the Ngaiterangi Tribe.

The petitioners are members of the Ngaiterangi tribe, and state that they inherit through their mother a block of land in the Tauranga District of 13,000 to 15,000 acres, that such land was confiscated in consequence of the rebellion of their tribe, and that the petitioners are dissatisfied with the quantify of land awarded to them for settlement, and pray the House to grant them additional quantities.

I am directed to report as follows:—The petitioners have not offered any evidence in support of their claim, and such inquiries as the Committee have been able to make of officers of the Government are not favourable to the petitioners. Under the circumstances, the Committee cannot see their way to making any specific recommendation upon the subject-matter of this petition.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a nga tangata o Ngaiterangi.

No Ngaiterangi nga Kai-inoi e ki ana ratou e whai paanga ana ratou na to ratou whaea, ki tetahi whenua kei Tauranga tona nui 13,000 eka 15,000 ranei, ko taua whenua i tangohia mo te hara o to ratou iwi a e ki ana nga kai inoi kahore ratou e pai ki te wahi i whakaritea hei nohoanga mo ratou a e inoi ana ratou ki te Whare ki a apititia ano he whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—Kahore a nga kai-inoi korero i whakapuakina hei whakakaha i to ratou tono a ko nga mea i taea te patai e te Komiti ki nga Apiha o te Kawanatanga, kihai i marama i runga i te taha ki nga kai-inoi. I runga i enei tikanga kahore te Komiti e marama ki te whakaatu i tetahi kupu tuturu ma ratou mo nga kupu o tenei pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.