Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on Petition of Roera Hukiki and 2 Others]

Report on Petition of Roera Hukiki and 2 Others.

The petitioners allege that on the 21st of March, 1874, a judgment was delivered by the Native Land Court at Otaki, with which they were dissatisfied, and that they made an application for a rehearing within the period prescribed by law; but that, owing to some error in the official records or misconception on the part of officials of the Government, a rehearing has not been ordered. The petitioners state that they have been and are law-abiding subjects, that they earnestly desire a rehearing of their case, that they are willing to bear all the necessary expenses of such rehearing, and that, after an opportunity has been afforded them of proving their case, they will accept and abide by the decision of the Court.

I am directed to report as follows:—That the main question raised by the petitioners is, whether or not application for a rehearing of their claim to the block of land mentioned in the petition was duly made within the time limited by law.

The petitioners have not had an opportunity of giving evidence as to the making of their application in proper time as alleged by them, while at the same time the evidence taken by the Committee does not clearly make out that no such application was made.

The Committee would recommend that the Government should cause inquiry to be made into this point during the recess, when, if it be ascertained that such application was duly made, it will be in the power of the Government to comply with the request for a rehearing if they deem it desirable to do so.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

24th October, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Roera Hukiki me ona hoa e 2.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi i whakataua e te Kooti Whakawa Whenua Maori i te 21 o Maehe, 1874, ki Otaki, tetahi kupu mo tetahi whenua a kahore ratou i marama ki taua whakataunga, a tono ana ratou i roto i te wa i whakaritea e te ture kia whakawakia tuaruatia, engari na tetahi he i roto i nga pukapuka na tetahi pohehe pea a nga Apiha o te Kawanatanga i kore ai e whakaaetia taua whakawa tuarua. E ki ana nga kai-inoi he tangata hapai tonu ratou i te ture o tua iho, a ka nui ta ratou tohe kia whakawakia tuaruatia taua whenua, a ma ratou e utu nga utu katoa o te whakawakanga, a mehemea ka tukua tetahi takiwa mo ratou kia ahei ai ratou ki te whakatuturu i to ratou tika ka whakaaetia e ratou ka hapainga e ratou te whakataunga a te Kooti.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—Ko te tino mea e kimihia i roto i tenei pukapuka-inoi he titiro mehemea i puta he tono ma ratou, i roto i te wa e whakaritea ana e te ture, kia whakawakia tuaruatia ta ratou tono ki te whenua i whakahuatia i roto i te pukapuka inoi.

Kahore i whai takiwa nga kai-inoi ki te whakapuaki kupu mo runga i taua tono a ratou e whakahuatia nei e ratou otiia kahore e marama ana i runga i nga kupu i whakapuakina ki te awaro o te Komiti kahore taua tono i whakaputaina.

E whakaaro ana te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga tenei mea e kimi i te mutunga o te Runanga a mehemea ka kitea i tino tae atu taua tono ka ahei te Kawanatanga ki te whakaae kia whakawakia tuaruatia mehemea ia e marama ana kia ratou kia whakaaetia.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 24, 1876.