Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

To the Under Secretary, Native Department, Wellington

To the Under Secretary, Native Department, Wellington.

(Telegram.) Grahamstown, 10.45 a.m., 11th October, 1876.

I assume that Matiu Poono and his fellow petitioners belong to the Ngatimaru tribe. If so, I may say, in the survey of lands at Piako last year, the portion they claimed was carefully excluded. I only dealt with those lands belonging to and sold by the Ngatipaoa tribe, at Hauraki. All surveys have been long since completed. I have only one survey in progress now, and that is on the Waitoa Block, near Ohinemuri, ceded by Ngatitamatera, and where Matiu Poono and Ngatimaru cannot possibly pretend to have the slightest claim. As soon as the weather permits surveys of the swamp country, I intend to complete that of the Piako Block, and if any portion of it abuts on or approaches any claims of Ngatimaru or Matiu Poono, I shall send them due notice to attend and point out their boundaries. Factious opposition with a view to delay cannot be too strongly deprecated, and as long as care is taken that only the claims of Ngatipaoa and Ngatitamatera are surveyed, and those to which Ngatimaru have the slightest shadow of right are excluded from such survey, I cannot admit any cause of complaint. If there should be any further communication on this subject necessary, will you kindly telegraph the names of the petitioners?

James Mackay,
Ohinemuri.