Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of H. M. Rangitakaiwaho and 394 Others.]

Report on the Petition of H. M. Rangitakaiwaho and 394 Others.

This is a petition from the Natives of the Ngatikahungunu tribe on the East Coast of the North Island. The petitioners desire that publicity should be given to the fact of their allegiance to the Queen, and their faithfulness to Her laws.

The petitioners allege that there ought to be an annual assembly of Native chiefs from all the tribes, to discuss subjects of interest to the Native race, and to suggest subjects to be brought up before the General Assembly.

They also express an opinion that the existing Maori Representation Act should be repealed, with a view of passing another Act largely increasing the number of Maori members in the House of Representatives.

They state that the operation of the Native Lands Act is bad, and pray that attempts to purchase land under that Act by officers of the Government should cease; and they further pray that a better Act may be passed.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this petition involves questions of public policy, many of which have a very important bearing upon the interests of the Maori race.

The Committee suggest that the petition be printed and circulated, and they recommend it to the favourable consideration of the Legislature.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

7th September, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a H. M. Rangitakaiwaho me ona hoa e 394.

He pukapuka-inoi tenei na nga Maori o te iwi Ngatikahungunu e noho ana ki te taha ki te Rawhiti o Te Ika-a-maui. E hiahia ana nga kai-inoi kia panuitia nuitia ta ratou piri pono ki a te Kuini me ta ratou hapai i ana Ture.

E mea ana nga kai inoi kia tu i ia tau, i ia tau he huinga o nga rangatira Maori o nga iwi katoa ki te korero i nga mea e whai tikanga ana ki nga Maori ki te whakatakoto putake hei tukunga mai ki te Paremete. E whakapuaki ana hoki ratou i ta ratou whakaaro kia whakakorea atu te Ture e mana ana inaianei hei whakatu tangata Maori ki roto ki te Runanga, kia ahei ai te whakatuturu tetahi Ture hei whakatokomaha atu i nga mema Maori i roto i te Whare o nga Rangatiria i kowhiria i runga i te pooti a te Iwi.

E ki ana hoki ratou e kino ana nga whakahaeretanga o te Ture whenua Maori, a e mea ana me mutu te hoko whenua i runga i taua Ture e nga apiha o te Kawanatanga, a e inoi ana ratou kia whakatuturutia tetahi Ture hou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu kia te Whare:—

He ritenga nui nga ritenga o tenei pukapuka-inoi he maha aua ritenga e tau nui ana ki nga tikanga o te taha Maori.

E mea ana te Komiti me ta tenei pukapuka-inoi me tukutuku atu kia kite te katoa a e tono atu ana ratou kia tirohia paitia e te Paremete te pukapuka-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 7, 1876.