Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Natives of the Ngatiraukawa Tribe]

Report on the Petition of Natives of the Ngatiraukawa Tribe.

This is a petition from Rawiri Wanui and other members of the Ngatiraukawa tribe, and is somewhat vague in its terms; but it appears, from evidence taken by the Committee, that the Ngatiraukawa tribe wish certain lands to be included in their tribal boundaries, which were not included by the Court which adjudicated on the matter, in order that they may receive payment for the same.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee do not feel justified in making any recommendation to the House in favour of the petitioners, and beg to refer to their general Report, brought up on the 23rd August, on the subject of virtual appeals from the Native Lands Court.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

5th September, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Ngatiraukawa.

Na Rawiri te Wanui ratou ko etahi o Natiraukawa tenei pukapuka-inoi, kahore i tino tuturu nga kupu o roto, engari e kitea ana i runga i nga kupu i korerotia i te aroaro o te Komiti e hiahia ana a Ngatiraukawa kia apititia etahi whenua ki roto ki to ratou rohe iwi, kihai nei aua whenua i apititia e te Kooti nana i whakawa, he mea kia utua ai ratou mo aua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whara:—

Kahore te Komiti e marama ki te whai kupu tohutohu atu ki te Whare kia whakapaingia te tono a nga kai-inoi, na me titiro te Whare ki te kupu a te Komiti i whakaaturia ki te Whare i te 23 o Akuhata mo runga i nga tono e whakaarohia ana he tono kia whiriwhiria houtia nga whakataunga a te Kooti whakawa whenua Maori.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Hepetema 5, 1876.