Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Frederic Sutton]

Report on the Petition of Frederic Sutton.

The Petitioner states that he has suffered loss in consequence of his not being able to recover his costs in an action which he gained against persons of the Native race, and prays that the law may be altered so as to render lands which have been Crown-granted to Maoris available for the recovery of costs in civil actions.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, in the opinion of the Committee, the petitioner has not established a case of hardship in the instance cited, inasmuch as it appears, from evidence taken by the Committee, that a bond for the law expenses was taken or agreed to be taken before the appeal was heard. And the Committee are page 8further of opinion that an alteration of the law, in the direction prayed for by the petitioner, would be productive of unfortunate results.

They therefore cannot recommend the prayer of the petitioner to the favourable consideration of the House.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

15th August, 1876.

[Translation.]
Ko te Kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Frederic Sutton (Pererika Tatana).

E ki ana te kai-inoi kua pa ho mate ki a ia mo tana korenga kahore i taea e ia te whakaea ona moni i pau i tetahi whakawakanga i tu ai ia i he ai etahi tangata Maori e inoi ana ia kia whakarerea ketia te Ture kia ahei ai nga whenua kua Karauna karaatitia ki nga Maori hei taunga mo nga utu i roto i nga whakawa a tetahi tangata ki tetahi. Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ki te whakaaro o te Komiti kahore i whakaturia e te kai-inoi te tika o te ki he mate tona i runga i tenei mea inahoki e kitea ana i runga i nga kupu i whakapuakina i te aroaro o te Komiti i whakaotia i whakaaetia ranei kia whakaotia tetahi Pukapuka whakaaetanga mo nga utu o te whakawa i mua o te whakarongonga o te korero tuarua. A e mahara ana hoki te Komiti mehemea ka whakarerea ketia te Ture kia whakaritea ki runga ki ta te kai-inoi e tono nei, he raruraru te putanga ake.

Koia ratou i kore ai e kaha ki te tono atu kia whakaarohia paitia e te Whare te tono a te kai-inoi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 15, 1876.