Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1876.

[Report on the Petition of Meha te Moananui and 165 Others]

Report on the Petition of Meha te Moananui and 165 Others.

The petitioners state that certain lands at Hauraki have been shut up by the Government, and that they suffer loss and inconvenience in consequence thereof.

They pray that the number of Maori members in the House of Representatives be increased, and that the Maori members of the Legislative Council be elected by the Maoris; they also pray that Maoris may be allowed to sit on juries, and cite a number of cases which they allege ought to have been tried by a mixed jury.

I am directed to report as follows:—

1. That, in the opinion of this Committee, the system of dealing with Native lands, of which the present case is an example, is exceedingly unsatisfactory, and the whole subject requires the most serious consideration of the House.
2. That, as the subject of increased representation is now before the House, and will doubtless be fully considered, the Committee do not think it necessary to make any recommendation on the subject.

And with reference to the prayer of the petitioners, that Maori members of the Legislative Council should be elected, the Committee do not see their way to making any suggestion, inasmuch as the power of nomination rests with the Governor.

3. In reference to the right of Maoris to sit on juries, the Committee are of opinion, that "The Juries Act, 1868," makes ample provision for the existing state of things.

These provisions had not however been brought into force, and cannot be brought into force until the Governor in exercise of the powers vested in him by the Act shall make certain rules and regulations.

The Committee recommend that the provisions of the Act should be put in force, and Maoris be admitted to sit on juries in the limited number of cases specified by the Act.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

9th August, 1876.
page 7

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Meha te Monananui me ona hoa 165.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi to etahi whenua koi Hauraki kua tutakina e te Kawanatanga a e mate ana ratou i tana tikanga.

E tonggo ana ratou kia whakatokomahatia nga mema ki roto ki te Runanga o nga Rangatira i kowhiria i runga i te pooti a te iwi a e mea ana ratou ko nga mema Maori o te Runanga Whakatakoto Ture ma te iwi e whakatu; e inoi hoki ana ratou kia tukua nga Maori kia noho i roto i nga Runanga tekaumarua (Huuri) a e whakaatu mai ana ratou i etahi whakawakanga i meatia e ratou kua tika kia whiriwhiria e te Huuri i uru tahi ai te Maori me te Pakeha.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

1. E whakaaro ana te Komita ko te tikanga whahahaere penei i nga whenua Maori ka nui te ahua raruraru a ko tenei mea katoa e tono ana kia tino whiriwhiria e te Whare.
2. Notemea kei te aroaro o te Whare te korero mo te whakatokomaha i nga mema Maori ki reira ata whiriwhiria ai pea, kahore te Komiti e whakaaro he tino tikanga kia whai kupu ratou mo tenei.

A, mo runga i te inoi i roto i te pukapuka-inoi kia waiho ma te iwi e whakatu nga mema o te Runanga whakatakoto Ture, kahore te Komiti e marama ki te tohutohu atu i tetahi Kupu, inahoki ko te mana whakatu kei te Kawana.

3. Mo runga i te tikanga kia noho he Maori ki roto ki nga Runanga tekaumarua (Huuri) e whakaaro ana te Komiti kei "Te Ture mo nga Huuri, 1868," tetahi mana mo te ahua o taua mea inaianei.

Ko taua tikanga kahore ano i whakaotia tuturutia a kahore e taea te whakaoti engari ma te Kawana i runga i te mana kua hoatu ki a ia e taua Ture e hanga i etahi tikanga whakahaere.

E mea ana te Komiti he mea tika kia whakahaeretia te mana e tau ana ki te Kawana i runga i taua Ture kia ahei ai te whakauru i nga Maori ki nga Runanga tekaumarua (Huuri) mo nga ahua whakawa e whakahuatia ana e te Ture e uru ai ratou.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Akuhata 9, 1876.