Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Petitions Presented to The House of Representatives

[Translation.] — To the General Assembly of New Zealand in Session at Wellington

[Translation.]
To the General Assembly of New Zealand in Session at Wellington.

Turanga, 8th July, 1867.

This petition of your true and faithful friends, some of the people of Turanga, prays that you will look into one of our troubles. Our very valuable carved house has been taken away, without pretext, by the Government: we did not consent to its removal. This is a true account of what took place in reference to the removal of that house: at the time of Mr. Richmond's visit here, he asked me to give up the house; I did not consent, but told him, "No, it is for the whole people to consider." He then asked me if the house belonged to them all. I answered, "No, the house is mine, but the work was done by all of us." To this Mr.Richmond replied, "That is all; I will cease to urge you."

The steamer left with Mr. Richmond. After having been away a short time, the steamer cam back again to take away the house; Captain Biggs came to fetch away the house. He desired me to give it up for the Governor, to be taken to Wellington. 1 told him I did not agree to it. He said other things, which I have not forgotten. He then went to take down the house, and carried it off, but I did not give my sanction to it. This is all I have to say about it. We pray you to consider this our trouble.

And your petitioners will ever pray, &c.

[Here follow eight signatures.]