Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

11th May, 1866.

To Mr. FitzGerald,—

Salutations to you. I have seen the assertion made by the newspaper of Wellington of yesterday's date, to the effect—that I am a man of big mouth to speak on the side of holding back the land when I stand in the presence of the whole people, and that when I sit down I go to the sellers of the land and say to them—"What I say is only mouth, I am really in favour of selling." I am weary of replying to this false accusation. I am still as energetically disposed, and still as strong as ever to hold back the land—myself and my tribe. I did not utter one word favourable to selling the land. I have also seen another assertion made by that paper stating that "Parakaia has no land in that and which is now the subject of dispute, save only two acres." I reply to this, and say that the land of Parakaia and his people is very extensive, indeed. It will be seen hereafter; and perhaps the man who said this may hereafter be put to shame. Not one of Parakaia's people is in favour of selling. Parakaia alone owns land to the extent of perhaps two thousand acres. That is all.

Henere te Herekau.