Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

Civil Commissioner, Maketu, To The Honorable The Native Minister

page 1

Civil Commissioner, Maketu, To The Honorable The Native Minister.

Civil Commissioner's Office, Maketu, September 13th, 1862.

Sir, —

I have the honor to forward, for the information of the Government, the enclosed copy of a circular letter addressed by Wiremu Tamehana to the principal Chiefs in this district, inviting representatives from each tribe to attend a meeting at Peria on the 21st of October.

It is understood that Tamehana's object in convening this meeting is to ascertain the state of feeling throughout the Island on the question of maintaining a national independence under the so-called Maori King. He is said to have declared his wish to hear the arguments on both sides, and that the question should be settled in accordance with the opinion and wishes of the majority. I have been applied to for advice as to whether this invitation should be accepted. Many of the chiefs are disposed to go. I do not at present see any objection to their doing so, but have hesitated to give a decided answer before communicating with the Government on the subject. I have now the honor to request that I may be favored with the views of the Government with reference to this question.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith,
C. C.

The Honorable the Native Minister,

Auckland.