Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Historical Societies, Volume 2, Issue 3, 1989
In April 1890, the Taitapu Gold Estates was offering land for selection. Between 10 000 and 12 000 acres of magnificent sheep country, coastal land between the West Wanganui Inlet and Sandhills Creek. In April 1909, the Taitapu Estates advertised that they had cut up a large area of their lands at West Wanganui and freehold land was offered for sale, in acres to suit purchasers. By 1911, the settlers in the area were J. Richards and son, Paturau; G. Nicholls, Punipawa; and Cowin Brothers at Sandhills Creek. The Addisons and other settlers moved in a few years later. All of these coastal lands were heavily timbered country, except for some occasional flax areas near the coast, and there would be a difficult breaking in period, when there would be little or no return from the land. Very little real development, other than the goldfields, occurred south of the inlet prior to the early 1900s, and certainly no farming had been done. The land taken up by William John Addison is known as Te Hapu. It comprises 784 acres between the south end of the inlet and the coast, and is accessed by way of Te Hapu Road.