Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 3, Issue 3, September 1977
Roads of Waimea West
Roads of Waimea West
River Road. This was the first road and followed the Waimea and Wai-iti River banks. Most of the early houses were built facing this road, and this is why they are so far back from the present road.
Main Road. The Waimea settlers asked that the road be formed from Tomlinson's Corner to follow the hills, pass through the Village and meet the main road at Morse's barn—it would seem the road only went to Aldourie corner.
In May, 1857 Dr Monro, J.P. moved in the Provincial Council that the main or "trunk" road should be made from "the head of navigation" of the Waimea River through the Village to connect with Waimea South. [This aimed at connecting the various small roads by the most convenient route with the trunk line in Waimea South to the advantage of both districts. This was passed but some time elapsed before it was carried out.—Ed.]
Teapot Valley. In June 1857 the Provincial Council allocated thirty pounds ($60) to buy land for a road through section 112.
Eves Valley Road. The cross road leading from Davies's to Hunter's—at this time planning fell through again. (1857 Gazette)
Tomlinson's Line from Teapot Valley to the bridge was formed in 1866.page 28
Wai-Iti Cart Bridge (Report of opening Prov. Gazette 1868) This bridge over the Wai-iti was completed and opened for traffic early in 1868. It was a timber bridge, 8 spans of 36 feet (16 m), a 10 foot road way (3 m), with two footpaths of 3 feet (less than 1 m) on either side. It had totara piles cased in stout planking and was intended to link Waimea South to Waimea West, a new cross road having been made in Waimea West to meet it.
Palmer's Road. This was built in 1881, but for a period went to the gate next to Mr Livingston's drive and from there through Tomlinson's Bush to the River Road and out to the Waiiti Cart bridge, the rest was added later.
Livingston's Road. At one time this was known as Wooten's Line. Mr David Wooten lived down here and may have been a builder as he tendered for the first school.
Avis's Ferry. James Avis operated a building with a Bush License, Provincial records 1857 state that he has two bedrooms and stabling for two horses. He kept a ferry over the Wai-iti at a charge of two pence (3 cents) per person.