Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 2, Issue 6, April 1973
The present road from near the site of the Black Horse, past the Glen turn-off, travelling eastwards, does not follow the original line of the road. Originally the flats were very swampy so the road was made round the lower slopes of the hills so as to get a firm foundation, both church and school being built against the hill beside the road.
St. Andrew's Anglican Church was dedicated in 1865 and remained in use for many years. The many tombstones in the small burial ground give interesting details about early settlers.
Dennis Frost and his wife and family of ten children came by the "Mariner" from Norfolk in 1844. He had been a gamekeeper but he and his two sons, Walter and George, proved successful pioneers and farmers in the Hillside area. Many descendants still live in this district.
* The recent Lands & Survey Topographical Map S.14 (1967) names this area Wakapuaka.