Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 2, Issue 6, April 1973
Dr. Robert Tod (as his name was then spelt) sailed from Sydney to New Zealand in 1839 by the cutter "Success", arriving at either Port Nicholson or Mana Island on December 6, 1839. He took up a section at Suburban North in 1842 and went there to live, shortly after establishing a dairy farm. In 1848 he was referred to as 'Robert Tod, Ellendale, gentleman'. It would appear that he took up further land including the area always referred to as 'Todd's Bush'. While in Nelson he was one of the Magistrates. He had come to New Zealand originally for health reasons but as his health did not improve he returned to England and died there.
When the land was sold a number of new owners took over, including Small, Harry Wastney, Cummings and Sutherland. George Cummings took over the land at the head of the valley and this has remained in the Cummings family until recent years. A man named Small took over part of Todd's Valley and the family lived there for page 16many years. A cob house was built, first with two rooms and a lean-to, and further rooms were added later. Irvine Norris from Yorkshire, bought part of the Small property and some of his descendants still live in the valley.
At one time a German settler, C. H. Martin, lived near where the blue metal quarry is. He was chairman of the school committee and he left money to provide Martin prizes for the school children.