Nelson Historical Society Journal, Volume 2, Issue 1, 1966
This road starts at the Maitai Bridge at the eastern end of Nile Street and follows the north bank of the Maitai. On the 1842 map the road was situated much further west in the town and ran from Trafalgar Street Bridge along the south bank of the Maitai until it reached Nile Street. Ajax Avenue, Riverside and Domett Streets are all made from the old Maitai Road. In a 1923 map this road south of the Maitai was called Milton Grove to match Shakespear Road which ran on the northern bank, and Domett Street was where Maitai Road runs today.
The name Maitai is supposed to come from one particular matai or mai (black pine) which grew on the bank of the river long ago.