Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Christchurch Bowling Club
Christchurch Bowling Club.
This Club was formed in November, 1875, Mr. W. Wynn-Williams being the first president, and Mr. P. Cunningham vice-president. During the summer 1875-6 the members played on private lawns, the use of which was kindly granted by Messrs. Wynn-Williams, J. T. Peacock, W. D. Wood, R. D. Thomas, and others. The first match was played on Mr. Wynn-Williams' ground, Latimer-square, in December, 1875.
In March, 1876, the Club purchased half-an-acre of ground in Worcester-street, which was laid down without delay, but not being ready for play until late in the year, the Club met for practice at Mr. Williams' for the early part of the season. In December of the same year the Club purchased an additional one-eighth of an acre, facing Gloucester-street, and adjoining the rear of its section in Worcester-street; and, subsequently, another one-eighth alongside the other was purchased, making in all three-quarters of an acre. Within, the last few months the Club has acquired an additional thirty-six feet, facing Worcester-street, which has been laid down, and, it is hoped, will be ready for play this season. The grounds are beautifully laid out and kept in splendid order. A small pavilion for the use of members is on the ground; also a summer-house and arbour—the latter, erected at the expense of Mr. George Gould, as a gift to the Club. The roll of members includes about one hundred names, and the offices are at 45, Cathedral-square. The officers for the present year are—President, Mr. H. Thomson; vice-President, Mr. R. D. Thomas; hon. Treasurer, Mr. W. Robison; hon. Secretary, Mr. Neil Black. During last season the Club entertained a representative team from Victoria, and inaugurated an annual colonial match, The Club possesses a handsome sixty guinea trophy, presented by Peter Cunningham, Esq., to be played for annually by all New Zealand Clubs.