Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Canterbury Caledonian Society
Canterbury Caledonian Society.
The Canterbury Caledonian Society was established in 1882. Its objects are to give advice and assistance to new arrivals from Scotland, to contribute to charitable institutions, for the establishment of evening classes, and for the cultivation of Scottish literature, customs, and accomplishments. The Society is also prepared to give medals for bravery in saving life in New Zealand. The nucleus of a good library has been formed, and a comfortable room where members can meet will shortly be procured. Annual sports and concerts, at which Scottish music is given, are held. The last concert will long be remembered by the Christchurch public. On that occasion the Theatre Royal was filled to overflowing, the chief attraction being the presentation by the vice-President, James Campbell, of the Society's silver St. Andrew's Cross, inscribed “For Valor,” to George Austin, for bravery in saving the life of a child in the Heathcote River, on March 13th, 1884. The management is in the hands of an influential committee, Mr Peter Cunningham being president. The secretary is Mr. Neil Black, and the offices are in Cathedral Square, Christchurch.