Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Canterbury Anglers' Society
Canterbury Anglers' Society.
This Society was formed in October, 1879, for the purpose of assisting in the preservation of imported fish in the various streams of the district; for the encouragement of angling; and to foster a feeling of emulation amongst anglers, so that a reliable record of all fish taken during each season might be kept. Members are elected by ballot, and each member binds himself, so far as lies in his power, to further the objects of the Society, and to prevent illegal fishing. The establishment of the Society is due principally to the exertions of Dr. Chilton and Mr McWilliams, and it has done good service to the cause of Acclimatization, in the way of giving suggestions to the Society for that purpose. The President is Mr. W. S. Cooke, and Mr. McWilliams is the Hon. Secretary and Treasurer.