Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
The Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association
The Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
This Association, which has now been established twenty-one years, has long held the premier position among kindred associations in New Zealand, and is recognised as a high authority by similar bodies, both in the Australias and at Home. It was established in 1863, "for the promotion of Agricultural and Pastoral interests, and of Industries connected with Agriculture generally." The first office-bearers were W. S. Moorhouse (then Superintendent of the Province), Patron; R. Wilkin, President; J. Brittan, vice-President; J. Palmer, Treasurer; W. Thomson, Secretary, with the following Committee:— S. Bealey, E. B. Bishop, R. Brunsden, J. Coker, E. H. Fereday, D. Graham, L. B. Higgins, C. Newton, J. Ollivier, M. Sprot, E. M. Templer, E. Turton, H. Washbourne, J. C. Wilson, C.B., and W. Wilson.
In October, 1863, it acquired its present Show Grounds, situated at the south end of Colombo-road, Christchurch, comprising fourteen acres; and since then fully £2000 have been expended on improving them.
There are now 300 members on the books of Association, exclusive of 139 life-members.
The annual shows of stock, machinery, and manufactures held by the Association are the most important of the kind held in the colony. In 1883 the attendance was about 18,000; the prize money being, cash £970, besides cups, gold and silver medals, and books, fully equal in value to £300 more. The entries were:—sheep, 414; cattle, 189; horses, 205; page 83pigs, 56; dogs, 24; dairy produce, meats, &c., 132; implements and carriages, 418; New Zealand manufactures, 91.
There are also held an Annual Parade of stallions, and an Annual Ram and Ewe Fair.
Besides these shows, parades, fairs, and occasional trials of implements, useful for farmers, such as grass-seed strippers, gorse cutters, reapers and binders, &c., the Association also attends to several matters of great importance.
“The New Zealand Herd Book” has been taken over from the original proprietor with a view to its publication at regular intervals. Complete arrangements for carrying out this work have been made, and the first volume of the new series is now issued, containing 1026 entries.
“The New Zealand Country Journal” has now been published by the Association for over six years, and is self-supporting. It is issued six times a year, and its pages are devoted to the promotion of Agricultural, Pastoral, and Horticultural pursuits, and Rural Sports in New Zealand.
“The New Zealand Draught Horse Stud Book” is another work more recently taken up by the Association. It is intended to issue it every two years, and every care is being taken to make the information thoroughly reliable; the pedigrees being authenticated beyond doubt, wherever possible.
Much of the usefulness and success of the Association is due to the ability and energy of the Secretary, Mr. M. Murphy, F. L. S., who has occupied his present onerous post for over seven years. The offices of the Association are Hereford-street, Christchurch.