Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Boys' High School
Boys' High School.
In 1878 an Act of the General Assembly endowed this school with a portion of the reserves set apart in 1877 for a secondary education, when 9320 acres were allotted for it. A contract for the building (situated in Worcester-street) was entered into in March 1879, the amount being £8889, and the school was opened in May, 1881, the number of pupils in attendance being then 78. The head master is C. E. Brown, M.A., late Scholar of Lincoln College, Oxford, and the second master is George Hogben, M.A., late Scholar of St. Catherine College, Cambridge, and there are six assistant masters.
The school has shown a steady increase of members each term, the number of boys at present is, 140. In November last the Inspector-General visited the school and reported that "the organization and tone of the school are excellent, and good progress is being made. The staff is in every respect adequate to the requirements of the school."