Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
The Monastery of "The Sacred Heart of Nôtre Dame des Missions,” situated in Barbadoes-street, Christchurch, was established in February 1868. The number of the sisters increases every year; at present there are twenty-two. Conducted by them is a High school for young ladies, which was established in 1872. After a few years increased accommodation was required, and in January, 1880, the foundation stone was laid of the present handsome building, which was completed in June, 1882. It is of red brick, the windows, cornices, and corners being white stone. The cost was about £8000. The tuition includes English education in all its branches, music, singing, drawing, and painting, Latin, French, German, Italian, besides other accomplishments, such as flower making, point lace, &c. Boarders as well as day pupils are received, there being about ninety at present attending. The boarders are kept separate from the day pupils, even during the hours of study.