Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Messrs. Shaw & Tidd
Messrs. Shaw & Tidd,
Who had been boat building in Lyttelton for some years, came to Christchurch in 1882. They erected their large boat-sheds, 90 feet by 30 feet, near the Hospital bridge, on the bank of the Avon. These sheds are the most complete in the colony. They Lave a landing stage with a frontage of 200 feet to the river, ladies' waiting room, and gentlemen's dressing room, refreshment room, and besides all these easily house the 38 boats, accommodating from one to fifteen persons each, the 16 canoes double and single, and 250 pairs of sculls and oars, which comprise Messrs Shaw and Tidd's stock. The boats have all been built by Messrs Shaw and Tidd, so that they have been able to supply the various requirements of their customers. Those persons who desire it can obtain here a man to row them, the charge for man and boat being half-a-crown an hour.