Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
Messrs. Mercer and Duckmanton
Messrs. Mercer and Duckmanton,
Coppersmiths, have their works at 315, Tuam-street, Christchurch, covering a quarter of an acre section. The only coppersmiths in the district, they commenced business here in 1883, having come from Dunedin, where they both had been apprenticed to the well-known firm of Messrs. A. and T. Burt, and had afterwards worked both in their workshops and in that of Messrs. Anderson and Morrison. They manufacture copper boilers, cooking utensils, and all kinds of marine copper-work. When we visited their works, they were just completing some copper steam jacketted jam pans, made extra heavy to stand a pressure of 60 lbs. to the inch, for the Akaroa Jam Factory. Their works are fitted up with lathes — one with a nine-inch centre,—forges, with American hand and ordinary bellows, punching machines, portable furnaces, a travelling crane, and all the appliances of a blacksmith's shop. All kinds of baths are made on the premises, especially plate zinc baths. The firm work principally for the trade, and, being the only coppersmiths in Christchurch, have met with a very encouraging amount of support.