Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
The Carlyle Implement Works
The Carlyle Implement Works.
In June, 1883, Messrs Booth, Macdonald, and Co. (Geo. T. Booth, William Ross, and R. M. Macdonald) took over the large implement manufacturing works, erected in 1882 by Messrs Geo. Booth and Sons, under the above name.
The establishment shows a wonderful degree of finish and completeness for such a young concern, and speaks volumes for the painstaking care and enterprise of the proprietors.
Since the beginning of the year 1883, they have turned out over 260 sets of disc harrows, which is one of the leading lines of the establishment, besides a very large number of drays, grass-seed strippers, ploughs, cultivators, windmills, broad-cast seed sowers, rollers, hand and horse-power threshing machines, reapers and mowers, and other agricultural implements too numerous to particularise. They have also turned their attention to heavier work, and have, among other things, made several sets of European flax scutching machinery for the Linseed Oil and Fibre Companies of Christchurch and other places.
Recently they found their capacity too limited for the number of orders that came in, and had to more than double the producing power of the foundry department. At the time this was written, about two tons of metal were being melted every day.
The buildings stand on a section containing 1½ acres of land In Carlyle-street, Sydenham, immediately facing the Christchurch Railway Station yard, and the dimensions are as follows:—Main building, 110 feet by 80 feet, divided into fitters', blacksmiths', wheelwrights', and painters' shops. At the back of this building stand the boiler house and tyre furnace, and such portions of the working plant as can be left uncovered. The foundry building measures 120 feet by 30 feet, with a wing, destined for a malleable foundry, 40 feet by 20 feet. At one end of this building is the pattern makers' department, and a tin and sheet-iron making shop; at the other end, the store for parts and small goods. The office stands detached at the entrance to the premises. At the rear of the buildings are the iron rack and page 170timber stacks. The firm are about to build sheds for keeping timber and appliances for seasoning the same.
The shops are supplied throughout with the latest and best machinery for carrying on the business, including steam hammers, punching and shearing machines, lathes, drilling machines, screwing machines, slotting machines, shaping machines, &c., in the smiths' and fitters' shops, and in the wheelwrights' or wood working department, machinery for planing, shaping, champering, mortising, boring, wheel making, spoke turning, band and circular sawing, &c.
In October, 1883, 85 hands were employed, but the firm anticipated having to increase the staff considerably to meet the demands on their resources for the coming season. Of the above number, twenty-three are employed in the foundry department.
The depôt and sale-room for finished goods is at the premises of Messrs. Geo. Booth and Sons in Tuam street, Christchurch, which occupy an acre of land, the buildings comprising several large stores, a commodious store-room (two storey), and the main offices.
So far, the firm have found a ready sale for all they have been able to manufacture, and the Carlyle implements are rapidly taking a leading place throughout the colony. They hold several patents for improvements in farm implements, such as disc harrows, ploughs, &c. An attractive and fully illustrated catalogue is issued, and supplied free on application.