Illustrated Guide to Christchurch and Neighbourhood
The Canterbury Building Society, Permanent
The Canterbury Building Society, Permanent,
Was started on 1st January, 1878. The seventh annual balance-sheet shows £30,242 5s lent on mortgage and £22,143 19s 5d to the credit of shareholders. The Society has a strong directorate, comprising Messrs A. Carrick (chairman), W. H. Hargreaves, R. Sutherland, James Goss, F. W. Hales, C. E. Briggs, F. Graham, and C. J. Mountfort. The manager is Mr G. B. Hales. The office is at No. 71, Cathedral Square. This Society is worked upon the modern principles of Building Societies. Its success is testified by the fact that the last sales of the £10 capital shares were at £11, ex dividend.