We will now give some description of the place shown in our larger Engraving, which is from Colonel Carey's sketch of Tau-
as it appeared in February. We may quote, from the Auckland newspaper above referred to, a paragraph which attests the value of this illustration:—”Colonel Carey,” says our Auckland contemporary, “as he did during the Thames expedition, has likewise done in this. He has made graphic illustrations of every bay, post and redoubt. His panoramic picture of Tauranga is superb, accurate, attractive, and lifelike; and as we have reason to suppose that it and others are to be sent to the Illustrated London News (which in a recent issue has treated the New Zealand question in a sound and sensible manner), the British public will be afforded the opportunity of beholding one of the finest natural havens and one of the greatest future cities of the north island of New Zealand.” In his letter of explanation which accompanies this sketch, Colonel Carey says:—”The Durham and Monmouth Redoubts appear here at opposite angles of the ground taken up for the encampment, enclosing the buildings of the Mission Station. H.M.S. Miranda is seen lying at anchor, having disembarked a portion of the Tauranga field force; vessels of 300 or 400 tons may come up at all tides to the landing-place in front of the camp. The surrounding country is extensively cultivated, the principal crops being wheat, Indian corn, and potatoes; peaches also abound, and abundance of fish is caught in the harbour.” The singularly-shaped mountain which overlooks the water is Mount Maunganui—a landmark visible far away. The entrance of the harbour is much obstructed in certain states of the tide by a reef of rocks, over which the sea “fumes and foams like a boiling cauldron” when the ebb is running strongly. This reef, however, is to be removed by blasting, some day. The harbour itself is magnificent, with accommodation for an immense amount of shipping. Te Papa, which in 1857 contained only the house of Archdeacon Brown, with the chapels and schools of the Church Missionary Society, besides a few scattered warehouses of the traders, has now assumed the character of a thriving village. Several substantial and handsome houses have been erected, the central edifice, with a rather imposing front, having some architectural pretensions. It was built for a mission schoolhouse, but is at present occupied as a commissariat store. The camp is pitched in a commanding situation. The tents of the soldiery are placed on the incline of a fine clover-clad bank. The brush and scrub have been cleared and burnt off all around. Ditches have been transformed to lines of rifle-pits, communicating with the Durham and Monmouth Redoubts, which are constructed to command and support each other and sweep the outer approaches. The Monmouth Redoubt has been formed from an old Maori pa. It is situated on the edge of the cliff that overhangs the beach, three of its faces being surmounted with parapets with bastions, on one of which a 12-pounder Armstrong gun is posted; the fourth face, being on the
From an engraving in the Illustrated London News of July 30th, 1864, showing the graves in the old Mission
Cemetery at Tauranga of British soldiers and sailors who fell at Gate Pa, April 20th, 1864
Tauranga— Taken from an engravin in the Illustrated London News of July 23rd, 1864.
edge of the cliff, has been left open. The ditches are to be deepened and widened. Lieutenant Talbot, 43rd Regiment, commands the Monmouth Redoubt. To the left of this redoubt, looking seaward, there are the rugged and broken remains of an old native work called The Tombs. They are situated near Archdeacon Brown's orchard and dwelling, are full of old potato holes, and bordered by numerous ditches and whitethorn fences, some of them very close and upwards of twenty feet high. Besides these, there are clumps of willows and elms, which, beautiful as they are, it might be well to clear away, as they could not but afford cover to a crawling, creeping foe, stealing from various points of the surrounding creeks and water-courses. The Tombs have been appropriately named, for hard by is the burying-ground where, underneath a large and handsome willow-tree, are deposited the remains of the first Mrs Brown; beside her lie those of the wife of the Rev. J. A. Wilson
. The Durham Redoubt is to the rear of Colonel Carey's quarters, the rifle-pits which line the outer enclosure of the garden communicating with the work. The redoubt is like its fellow. It faces the ranges, and commands the creek and tidal basin in the rear. It has pretty deep ditches, and has flanking angles, on one of which a 12-pounder Armstrong gun is mounted. Lieutenant Marshall, 68th, is in command.”