Historic Poverty Bay and the East Coast, N.I., N.Z.
Earliest Journals and Their Founders
Poverty Bay Standard.—Est. 5 October, 1872, as a weekly, price 6d., by Henry Edwin Webb; bi-weekly, 1/1/1873, 3d.; tri-weekly, 10/1/1874, 2d. It was resuscitated as the Gisborne Standard on 26/4/1880, by C. H. Webb and J. Mogridge. In November, 1883, Captain Porter and A. W. Croft became the owners, and changed the title to the Telephone. The Gisborne Standard reappeared in 1886, and, in 1892, it was styled the New Zealand Standard and Cook County Gazette.
Poverty Bay Herald (now the Gisborne Herald).—Est. 5 January, 1874, as a biweekly morning journal by Dinwiddie, Morrison, Carlile and Grigg, of Napier, who traded in Gisborne under the style of Carlile and Co. On 14/9/1877 the business was taken over by the Poverty Bay Printing and Publishing Co., and the Herald was changed to an evening journal. It became a tri-weekly in June, 1878, and a daily in October, 1878. In December, 1879, it became the property of F. Dufaur and Captain T. Chrisp; in 1883, W. MacIntosh Muir bought F. Dufaur's interests for his brother, A. R. Muir, who became the sole proprietor on 30 July, 1887. The Poverty Bay Herald Co. Ltd. (now the Gisborne Herald Co. Ltd.) was formed in 1908.
Wairoa Free Press.—Est. 12 May, 1877, by H. E. Webb; it became the Wairoa Guardian in 1880.
Te Waka Maori o Nui Tirani.—Est. on 21 August, 1878, by Grindell and Gannon.
Facts.—Est. on 13 July, 1883, and published for Captain Kerr by Webb and Mogridge: copies until 17 August, 1883, are in the Hocken Library.
The Telèphone.—Est. in November, 1883, by Captain Porter and A. W. Croft; ceased publication in March, 1885.
Takitimu.—Est. in the 1880's; a 4 pp. Maori newspaper; printers, Webb and Mogridge; editor, M. J. Gannon.page break
Landing passengers and cargo at Waipiro Bay in the 1890's.
F. R. Hargreaves, Photo.
Te Waka Maori o Aotearoa.—Est. 29 February, 1884; printers, Porter and Croft.
Poverty Bay Independent.—Est. 7 March, 1885, by John Baldwin, as a tri-weekly morning journal; ceased publication in September, 1886.
Gisborne Star.—Est. 1894; it had only a brief career.
The Telephone (a weekly, and the second newspaper in Gisborne to bear that title).—Est. 6 July, 1895, by Jones and Steele. (Incorporated in the Gisborne Times.)
Te Pipiwharauroa.—Printed at Nelson, March, 1898-October, 1899; then by Te Rau Press (H. W. Williams), Gisborne.
Gisborne Times.—Established as a morning journal on 2 January, 1901, by Jones Slack and Gaudin. In 1907 it was taken over by the Gisborne Times Co. Ltd. The business became the property of the Gisborne Publishing Co. Ltd. in August, 1910, and was conducted by J. A. Mackay (a member of the firm) from January, 1911, till March, 1937. R. J. Kerridge, who then became the proprietor, changed the title to The Times, and, in 1938, sold the publishing rights to the Gisborne Herald Co. Ltd.
East Coast Mail.—Est. at Wairoa in September, 1907; ceased publication on 3 January, 1909, when the premises were destroyed by fire.
East Coast Watch and Waiapu County Gasette.—Est. at Tokomaru Bay in 1919. It was followed in 1931 by the East Coast Press.
Wairoa Star.—Est. in 1922.
Te Rau Press.—Est. on 4 October, 1924; a weekly, published in Gisborne. A Maori journal of like name was published in the 1890's.
Gisborne Courier (November, 1935, till October, 1936).—A weekly, printed outside the district.
Captain Thomas Chrisp (born at Blythe, England, in 1837) went to sea as a lad on vessels trading to the Mediterranean and India. He came out to Nelson in 1853, went to the Victorian gold diggings, returned to England, and, on again migrating to New Zealand, took up land in the Whangarei district, but was a heavy loser through floods, and again went to sea. For some time he was in the Islands trade, and then master, in turn, of the Comerang, Beautiful Star and Pacific. He was harbourmaster at Gisborne from 1875 till 1886, and then became district agent for the Public Trustee. For 15 years he was chairman of directors of the Gisborne Gas Co. Ltd. He died on 4 May, 1911. Walter H. Chrisp (a son) served on the staff of the Herald from 1885 till 1944, occupying the position of secretary from 1908 till he retired.
Allan Ramsay Muir (born at Wellington in 1844) was a son of James Muir, one of the founders of the Independent (Wellington) in 1845. He was trained on the Independent, and then became foreman of the New Zealand Mail. In 1876 he took up fruit farming at Richmond, and, in 1883, settled in Gisborne. He died on 10 April, 1914. Allan Leonard Muir (one of his sons), who died on 3 October, 1935, was editor of the Herald for nearly 40 years.
Herbert James Bushnell (born at Trimley, Suffolk, in 1852) was six years old when his parents settled in Auckland. He was apprenticed to the printing trade, and served on the New Zealander, Evening News and New Zealand Herald. He joined the staff of the Daily Telegraph (Napier) in 1877, and, two years later, became foreman of the Poverty Bay Herald. In 1898 he went into business as a bookseller and printer. He was a director of the Gisborne Gas Company Ltd. for 45 years. He died on 5 August, 1940.