Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 4. — J. Ball, Esq., to W. Mantell, Esq

No. 4.
J. Ball, Esq., to W. Mantell, Esq.

Downing-street, July 21st, 1856.

Sir,—

I am directed by Mr. Secretary Labouchore to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 5th instant, charging the Colonial authorities of New Zealand with having failed to realize certain promises which, in your official capacity, you had made to the Ngaitahu Natives, and in reliance on which, those Natives had ceded to you, from time to time, some lands in the Middle Island, for small cash payments.

It need scarcely be observed that this is a serious imputation against the Local Government, and before Mr. Labouchere can decide upon making any reference to them on the subject, he requests you will inform him:—

1st.What authority you received, and from whom, to make those promises.
2nd.Whether the statements, which you have now urged, were ever brought by you officially under the notice of the Local Government.

Mr. Labouchere has also received your letter of the 4th instant, renewing your application to be confirmed in the appointment of Commissioner of Crown lands for the Province of Otago; and I am to acquaint you in reply that it is impossible to accede to such a request, until the circumstances of your case, including the matters raised by your letter of the 5th, have been more fully considered.

I have, &c.,

J. Ball.

W. Mantell, Esq.