Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 1. — The Secretary of State, to Governor Gore Brown

No. 1.
The Secretary of State, to Governor Gore Brown.

Downing-street, September 28th, 1856.

Sir,—

With reference to my despatch, No. 52, of the 19th of June last, I transmit to you herewith for your information copies of a further correspondence which has passed between Mr. Walter Mantell and this department, in regard to the performance of his duties as Crown Lands Commissioner for the Province of Otago, and the arrangements concluded by him in that capacity for the cession by the Ngaitahu tribe to the Local Government of certain portions of the lands belonging to them in the Middle Island.

You will observe that Mr. Mantell has tendered the resignation of his appointment, which has been accepted by me.

The irregular and unsatisfactory manner in which the statements made by Mr. Mantell have reached me, make it quite impossible for me to do more than to request that you will afford to me such an explanation of the facts connected with the original agreement with these Natives, and the subsequent acts of the Colonial Government in their regard, as you can afford.

I have full confidence in your disposition to carry into full effect any engagements deliberately entered into between the Colonial Executive and the Natives.

I have, &c.,

W. Larouchere.

Governor Gore Brown.