Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 7. — Major, Heaphy V.C., to the Under Secretary Native Department

No. 7.
Major, Heaphy V.C., to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Bluff, May 15th, 1870.

Sir,—

I enclose herewith a plan of 2,000 acres purchased in the Province of Southland, in conformity with the terms of purchase of the Native Title to Stewart's Island.

As you are aware the sum of £2,000 of the purchase money of Stewart's Island was arranged to be expended in the purchase of an estate on the mainland for an endowment for education and other Native purposes.* The land margnally noted and shown in the plan was accordingly purchase d, and has since been let with promise of lease for 21½ years, to Mr. W. B. Kingswell.

The lease, however, is delayed in execution from the circumstance of the land not having been granted by the Crown.

The sum of £75 will be due in ent on the 1st June proximo, and I have the honour to suggest that steps be at once taken to have a Crown grant prepared and issued.

If I may suggest the names of the trustees, I would recommend those of the Commissioner of Native reserves and the Resident Magistrate at Dunedin, Major Heaphy, and I. N. Watt, Esq. The latter gentleman is known by all the southern Natives, and is intimately acquainted with their condition and wants, as well as conversant with the value of land at Southland.

I have, &c.

Charles Heaphy,
Commissioner Native Reserves.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.

* Allotments 13 and 225, Hokonui District.