Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 4. — I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister]

No. 4.

I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Dunedin, October 19th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose Mr. William Burcher Kingswell's tender, to rent the £2,000 worth of land which be delivered personally to me. Upon discussing the subject with him we agreed (subject to the approval of the Government), upon the following modifications and additions.

Lease to commence on 1st January, 1869. Rent for three years at £75 per annum, and after that for 18 and a half years, (the half year being added that the lease may terminate on 30th June, when all the crops will be out of the ground) at £100 per annum, payable half yearly.

Improvements to be insured from fire by tenant at not less than half their value.

The land to be all fenced in within ten years, and fences kept in repair, other covenants as usual.

Mr. Kingswell has for the last six years been a butcher and grazier, carrying on business in page 71Invercargill, his business has led him from time to time over most of the settled districts in the Provinces of Canterbury, Otago, and Southland, and he confidently asserts that there is no such land to be found elsewhere as that he is about to select.

He was formerly manager of a large cattle station in Tasmania, and is in every way I believe a suitable and respectable tenant, and as his is the only application that has been definitely made within the terms of the advertisement, I strongly recommend that his terms be accepted.

The land is not to be worked as an adjunct to other land upon which all the necessary improvements will be made, but will be worked alone as an individual estate.

Should Mr. Kingswell be accepted, where will the lease be prepared, and who will be the lessors?

I have, &c.,

I. Newton Watt.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.

Enclosure in No. 4.
Mr. W. B. Kingswell, to I. N. Watt, Esq.

Invercargill, October 5th, 1868.

Sir,—

With reference to your advertisement for a tenant for the 2,000 acres of land (dated 11th May), for Maori educational purposes, I beg to tender for the said 2,000 acres in one block, situated in the Hokonui to be pointed out by me, and I require a lease for 21 years at the following rental, viz., for the first three years £75, and the remaining 18 years at £100, per annum. I promise to occupy and commence building a house on the land as soon as the lease is signed, also to fence the whole block in by the end of the lease, other improvements such as garden, stock-yards, paddocks, and out buildings, to be made by me from time to time as I may require for the proper working of the estate.

I will be happy to meet you on this matter, waiting reply at your convenience.

I have, &c.,

W. B. Kingswell.

I. N. Watt, Esq., Dunedin.