Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 10. — Mr. W. B. Kingswell, to G. S. Cooper, Esq., Under Secretary Native Department

No. 10.
Mr. W. B. Kingswell, to G. S. Cooper, Esq., Under Secretary Native Department.

Invercargill, June 25th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to refer again to the subject on which I gave you information when you were in Invercargill, namely, in the matter of the land assigned to Natives as part purchase of Stewart's Island, a portion of which at the Hokonui I hold under promise of a lease.

I would respectfully submit that the diffculties which have been in the way of my obtaining a lease of the same have been productive of serious loss, interfering with my profitable occupancy and especially with improvements I have been intending to make.

For a considerable period I was unable on account of other claimants, who sought compensation, to get upon the land. This matter I referred to the Provincial Government of Southland, and some correspondence ensued but without avail. I would respectfully submit that to prevent any further loss, a lease be granted me with as little delay as possible, and I would further submit for consideration the propriety, if practicable, of inserting a clause therein permitting the purchase within 10 years, at 23s. per acre.

I have, &c.,

W. B. Kingswell,

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.