Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 7. — Copy of letter from Chairman Westland County Council, to Hon. Colonial, Secretary

No. 7.
Copy of letter from Chairman Westland County Council, to Hon. Colonial, Secretary.

County Chairman's Office, Hokitika, May 19th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter, number and date as per margin, on the subject of an Act being passed to cause Native property to contribute an equitable share towards the construction of roads, &c., through, or adjoining such property.

In reply, I have the honour to observe that the proposed road will not only open up Greek's and German Gullies, but also a large tract of Native property at present inaccessible. The resolution, passed at the last session of the Council, does not propose to cause Native property, which remains in the hands of the Crown as a trust, to contribute towards the construction of works from which it benefits, but so soon as these properties return an income, it appears only fair, that not only should the occupier contribute towards the revenue by way of rates, but that the receiver of the rental should also contribute by way of an income tax, inasmuch as the Crown lands are disposed of once and for all for the sole purpose that they may be improved. It further appears to me that a General Act would be far less trouble than private Acts for every piece of Native land scattered all over the country, and often situated in places where the country cannot be opened up unless the roads intersect them. I therefore bring the matter again before the Government, and would strongly urge that some steps should be taken in it, the more, as the principle has been already recognised in Greymouth where 10 per cent. of the gross receipts is contributed annually for the maintenance of the wharf, &c.

I have, &c.,

C. Hoos,
Chairman.

Hon. Colonial Secretary.