Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 5. — Copy of a letter from County Chairman, Hokitika, to the Colonial Secretary]

No. 5.

Copy of a letter from County Chairman, Hokitika, to the Colonial Secretary.

County Chairman's Office, Hokitika. April 11th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to forward herewith copy of correspondence with the Native Commissioner, respecting the making of a road to give access to Greek's and German Gullies, in consequence of the original road being washed away. I have also the honour to forward herewith a copy of a Resolution passed by the County Council on the 19th July, 1869, recommending that an Act should be passed to cause Native property to contribute an equitable share towards the construction of roads &c., through or adjoining such property, and to request that you will be pleased to cause such Steps to be taken as will give effect to it.

I have. &c.,

C. Hoos,
Chairman.

Hon. Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

Enclosure 1 in No. 5.
Copy of Resolution of County Council of Westland.

Resolved,—"That in the opinion of this Council it is desirable that representations be made to both House of Legislature to pass an Act to cause Native property to contribute its just and equitable share towards the construction of roads, wharves and protective works, &c., through or adjoining Native property, and that the Council considers that 20 per cent. from the gross rent the page 46first year, when leased, and 8 per cent. every succeeding year, for maintenance, is a fair proportion of contribution."

Enclosure 2 in No 5.
Copy of Mr. A. Mackay's letter to Chairman County Council of Westland.

Native Reserves Office, Nelson, March 31, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 23rd instant, informing me that the County Government, in consequence of the roadway fronting Sections 38, 39, and 40, Native reserve, Arahura, having been washed away, propose now to make a road between Section 34 and 38, and along the rear of the Native reserve, for the purpose of giving access to Greek's and German Gullies, provided one-half of the cost is defrayed by the Native Trust, and, in reply, to state that I fully concur in the necessity opening up the proposed line of road, and will recommend the General Government to sanction such a proportion of the expenditure as may be fairly charged against the Fund, provided the road can be made at a moderate cost. In the meantime, perhaps, you will be good enough to furnish me with an estimate of the probable cost of the entire work to enable me, when writing to the Government on the subject, to state the amount to be borne by the Fund.

The length of the road to be made, judging from the tracing furnished, appears to be about 1¾ miles.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

Chairman County Council of Westland, Hokitika.

Enclosure No. 3 in No 5.
Copy of telegram from Mr. Mackay to Mr. Hoos.

Nelson, April 5, 1870.

One-half the amount named is much too large a proportion to ask from the Native Trust Such amount would represent seven years rent from the land it is proposed to benefit, even commencing from the Arahura crossing. With every wish to promote the matter for the sake of the tenants, I could not think of recommending so heavy an outlay. One-fourth of the estimated amount would be fully as much as I should be inclined to recommend. I have no record of any agreement between Mr. Sale and Jones and M'Glashan. The lessees asked £100 as compensation, if the road was carried through their leasehold.

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

Enclosure No. 4 in No. 5.
Copy of letter from Chairman County Council of Westland, Mr. Alexander Mackay.

County Chairman's Office, Hokitika, April, 9th, 1870.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of 31st March, and your telegram of 5th April, 1870, informing me that the sum asked for towards the construction of a road at Arahura is much too large, and that you do not think of recommending so heavy an outlay to the General Government, but suggesting that one fourth, of the estimated cost would be as much as you could recommend.

In reply, I again strongly urge that an arrangement, as proposed in a Resolution passed by the County Council, on the 19th July, 1889, should receive your strongest recommendation to the General Government for adoption. This principle having been recognized as shown in a letter from you to the Mayor of Greymouth, dated 21st March, 1870, by which 10 per cent. of the Native Trust Fund is allowed to the Borough Council, towards the construction of protective works, streets, &c., &c., within the Borough.

A similar permanent arrangement would be beneficial to both parties. It would induce the Council to construct roads intersecting Maori property, thereby enhancing the value of the same, while it is otherwise in the interest of the Council to evade so doing, inasmuch as all works are chiefly defrayed out of the Land Fund, to which the Native lands up to the present time, have not contributed.

I would then point out to you that contributions from the Native lands to the Westland Trust Road Fund, as proposed, would be more locally distributed, and the Native Trust Fund would not be called upon for large sums at one time, which in the case of the Arahura is necessary, considering that the County has already provided a good road intersecting 5 miles of Native property, and which extends to about 5 miles beyond the commencing point of the present proposed road.

I have, &c.,

C. Hoos,
County Chairman,

Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Nelson.