Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 2 — Copy of letter from the Under Secretary Native Department, to Mr. Alexander Mackay]

No. 2.

Copy of letter from the Under Secretary Native Department, to Mr. Alexander Mackay.

Wellington, May 27th, 1869.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter of 6th March, 1869, upon the subject of the quantity of land absorbed by roads laid out by the Government of Westland, over the 2000 acre reserve at Arahura, I am instructed by Mr. Richmond to enclose a copy of some remarks made by the Attorney General on the question, and I must request that you will state whether any special arrangements were made on the subject of roads which led to the granting of 560 acres in excess of the area originally granted for the reserve.

I have, &c.,

G. S. Cooper,
Under Secretary.

Mr. Alexander Mackay, Nelson.

Enclosure in No. 2.
Copy of remarks of Attorney-General on Mr. Mackay's letter of March 6th, 1869.

March 19th, 1869.

I know of no power to take road lines without agreement and compensation when the land has been reserved out of others sold to the Crown.

I suspect that when the survey was made there must have been some arrangements, otherwise why should 560 additional acres have been granted?

I think Mr. Mackay Should be asked if he knows anything of any agreement relating to the land, explanatory of the reasons for granting the additional land.

I think that the Secretary for Crown Lands, or the Colonial Secretary should call on the Commissioner for Crown Lands for an explanation.

J. Prendergast,

The Hon. Minister Native Affairs.