Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 4. — James Mackay, Junr., Civil Commissioner, to the Hon. Native Minister, Wellington

No. 4.
James Mackay, Junr., Civil Commissioner, to the Hon. Native Minister, Wellington.

Civil Commissioner's Office, Auckland, July 2nd, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 18th ultimo, No. 260-2, stating that four Natives, named, respectively, Ihaia Tainui, Arapata Horau, Wi Makarini, and Moroati were pressing a claim for further payment on account of the purchase of the West Coast Block, effected by me in the year 1860, and requesting me to inform you whether I made any promise of a further payment to them, or made any stipulation with respect to taking roads over the reserves.

In reply, I have the honor to state that, to the best of my recollection, I made no promise of any further payment for the Block alluded to, and I think the deed itself recites that it was a final one.

With regard to the roads over the reserves, I believe there was a stipulation made in a memorandum about them, that the Government should have a right of road through them, but of this I cannot be certain.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay, Junr.,
Civil Commissioner.

The Hon. Native Minister, Wellington.
page break