Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 35. — Copy of an agreement, made on behalf of certain members of the Ngatitama tribe, for the occupation of Native reserve Sections Nos. 144, 145, 146, and 147 at Motueka.]

No. 35

Copy of an agreement, made on behalf of certain members of the Ngatitama tribe, for the occupation of Native reserve Sections Nos. 144, 145, 146, and 147 at Motueka.

Hei Pukapuka wakaatu tenei mo nga ingoa o nga tangata Maori e whai tikanga ana ki te whenua Maori ki Puketutu i te Porowhini o Neritini ko nga rohe o taua whenua kua timata i te taha o te paroro i te Kaupapa i te huarahi, haere tona i taua huarahi i te taha o te tekiana kua namatia 147 i te mapi; tae noa ki te moana, haere tonu i te pito wakatai o nga tekiana Kua namatia 147, 146, 145, 144, a ka haere i kona i te taha o te moana ki te kongutu awa o Moutere, ka whati i kona ka haere tonu i te taha o te paroro ki te wahi i timata a i ki te Kaupapa i te huarahi.

Kotahi te tikanga mo taua whenua me tuku i nga tangata Pakeha Maori kia haere ki runga ki te huarahi ki Moutere, kaua e tutakina taua huarahi.

Ko nga ingoa o nga tangata Maori me o ratou wahine mo o ratou tamariki mona taua whenua.

* Ko te Hapimana Ngapiko,
Ko te Hone Ngapiko,
Ko te Herewine Ngapiko,
Ko te Honi Mokoera,
Ko Hohaia Tamihana,
Ko te Mokene.

Hei mea tuhi naku i tenei te, 17th o nga ra o Tihema, 1862.
James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

* Since dead

Translation.

This is a memorandum showing the names of the Natives entitled to the Native reserve at Puketutu, at Motueka, in the Province of Nelson. The boundaries of this land commence at the mud-flat near to the bridge on the road, thence along the said road by the Section No. 147 on the map to the sea, thence along seaward boundary of the Sections Nos. 147, 146, 145, and 144, respectively, thence by the seaside to the mouth of the River Moutere, then turning along the edge of the mud-flat to the point of commencement, at the bridge on the road.

There is an understanding that Europeans and Natives shall be allowed to use the present cart road to Moutere, and that it shall not be stopped.

The names of the Natives with their wives and children who are to occupy this land are:—

Hapimana Ngapiko,
Honi Ngapiko,
Herewine Ngapiko,
Honi Mokoera,
Hohaia Tamihana,
Mokena.

"Written by me this 17th day of December, 1862,
James Mackay,

page 310

Memorandum.

Sections 126, 127, 129, and 182, were sub-divided at the same time amongst members of the Ngatirarua and Ngatiawa tribes who had been overlooked at the previous apportionment.

The whole of the Native reserve sections at Marahau were given up to Teira and his people, and Sections Nos. 111, 113, 117, and 118, at Sandy Bay, were apportioned as follows:—

Section 111, for Peti and her children and their relatives; Section 113, for Teira and Munu and their children and relatives; Section 117 for Wiremu Waiti, Warena, Hakopa te Nukaroa, and Iraia, and Section 118, for Wiremu and his relatives.

James Mackay, Junr.,