Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[untitled]

Mr. F. Daw Greenwood, being duly sworn, states: My name is Frederick Daw Greenwood. I am Collector and Bailiff to the Bishop of Nelson of tho Wakarewa Trust Estate. I have held this appointment since January, 1868. I will send a list showing the number of holdings,—the names of tenants,—the amount of rents respectively payable, and the dates at which the leases will determine —as far as I know them. I think that generally the leases are for 14 years, on certain terms. When Bishop Hobhouse met the tenants he wished to raise the rents, as I understood. I am told the tenants refused, and that he made some agreement with them for a renewal after seven years. lu 1873, 1 think most of them are to pay an increased rent. Mr. Sinclair has, I suppose, copies of the leases from the Trust, and the tenants the originals. At present prices, in many cases, the rent is much below the marketable value of the land. With respect to Saxon's land, I was asked to report upon what rent should be paid. I surveyed all the land of fair quality, for which I estimated the rent should be 15s per acre, which, from its position and quality, I thought a fair thing. There were a great many fences to be made, the Bishop finding wire, and the tenants agreeing to grub up old gorse fences and find posts. Bishop Hobhouse, I believe, had caused a barn and lean-to to be put up with reference to industrial training, on which Mr. Saxon was to pay 10 per cent. interest, and 2½ per cent. sinking fund. The Bishop had also advanced £200 to Mr. Saxon towards building a house on it; he was to pay the same interest and sinking fund. Mr. Saxon had also spent £200 of his own on the house. I produce the ledger kept by my brother, Mr. John Greenwood, since 1865. [This book appears regularly and properly kept—noted from time to time, "Examined and found correct," with the initials and signatures of Bishops Hobhouse and Suter.—A.D.] I consider Mr. Saxon's land is let on equitable terms, and that the money lent on perishable building at 12½ per cent. is favourable to him. I valued the land at what I considered Mr. Saxon could afford to give and make a living upon. Only about 55 or 60 acres, out of all his holding (about 400 or 500 acres), is good. The rest is barren hills which I valued at 6d. an acre.