Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 14. — Copy of a letter from the Superintendent of Nelson, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington

No. 14.
Copy of a letter from the Superintendent of Nelson, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson, July 25th, 1848.

Sir,—

With reference to the instructions contained in your letter of the 5th instant, for the guidance of the Board appointed for the management of the Native reserves in this settlement, I have the honour to draw attention to the several clauses wherein the words "Lieutenant-Governor" are inserted, particularly the two which I have appended to this letter.

The members of the Board and myself conceive that "Superintendent" was unintentionally omitted to be substituted for "Lieutenant-Governor" in drawing out the present instructions for Nelson, as it appears to us they are at variance with those transmitted under date the 21st of June last, and we apprehend the frequent reference to Wellington now enjoined, will be attended with considerable inconvenience, as well as calculated in some measure to retard the successful management of the estate. While upon the subject, I shall feel obliged by your having the goodness to ascertain whether it is the wish of the Lieutenant-Governor that leases recommended by the Board connected page 280with both the Native and public reserves of Nelson, should be forwarded for His Excellency's approval and signature, or if they are to be signed by the Superintendent, on the part of the Government.

The following are the clauses alluded to:—

"As each case is investigated, and a recommendation made upon it, the Board will lay it before the Lieutenant-Governor for approval, prior to the arrangement suggested being carried out, &c.," and

"This fund, it is proposed, should be, from time to time, drawn upon and appropriated by the Lieutenant-Governor to objects having in view the welfare and advancement of the Native race, &c.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.