Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 11. — The Crown Agent, to the Provincial Secretary, Christchurch

No. 11.
The Crown Agent, to the Provincial Secretary, Christchurch.

Christchurch, April 17th, 1868.

Sir,—

The investigation of the Native Land Court now sitting in Christchurch, in respect of the Native reserves in this Province, has brought out evidence which in common with the document relating to the Ngaitahu purchase, shows that the Deed of Cession under which the Ngaitahu block was obtained, is of a very unsatisfactory character, containing promises which have never yet been wholly fulfilled, and leaving a considerable feeling of discontent in the minds of the Natives. It appears further that there are a number of Natives who under existing arrangements, are either insufficiently provided for in the present reserves, or having returned to the country since the purchase, are entitled to have provision made for them. I have received authority from the General Government to represent the Crown in this case, and I should be glad to have the concurrence of the Provincial Government in the course which I propose to take, of promising such further reserve, or reserves as may meet the justice of the Native claims, taking from the Natives in return a full release from all claims which they may consider themselves entitled to under the Deeds of Purchase, and finally closing a question which has hitherto been a source of not unreasonable complaint on their part.

I would suggest that Mr. Wynn Williams, who is acquainted with the circumstances of the case, should be consulted, and shall be glad to give any verbal explanation which the Government may desire.

The Court has at present adjourned, and I will, when the evidence shall have been adduced, suggest the basis of a settlement upon which I propose to take action.

I have, &c.,
W. Rolleston,
Acting for the Crown.

The Provincial Secretary, Christchurch.