Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 39. — Copy of a letter from Alexander Mackay, Esq., to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 39.
Copy of a letter from Alexander Mackay, Esq., to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Bluff, Southland, June 22nd, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that, at a meeting held at Ruapuke on the 18th instant, the undermentioned persons were duly elected as a Committee of Management for the school there, viz:—John Topi Patuki, Ihaia Waitiri, Harry West (half-caste), Walter Joss (half-caste), Tioti te Rauparaha, and Rev. Mr. Wohlers. The Rev. Mr. Wohlers was elected chairman. The following resolution was also proposed and carried:—"That the General Government be respectfully informed that the Natives of Ruapuke are of opinion that the proportion of the school fees required by the Act to be provided by the Native inhabitants should be charged against and defrayed out of the amount due to them as their fair share of the interest or any other profit accruing or likely to accrue from the third instalment of the Stewart's Island purchase money, as this amount was set apart specially to page 178provide a fund for educational purposes. But in consideration of the limited amount likely to be available for a master's salary, either from this fund or from the share of the Government subsidy to which they may be entitled, and foreseeing that this may probably be the means of preventing a suitable person from undertaking the office, the Natives of Ruapuke will endeavor, by a contribution raised amongst themselves, independent of the one-fourth to be borne by the endowment fund, to make up the amount of fees, if possible, to £5 per annum for each scholar in regular attendance; but, at the same time, they would beg to represent to the Government the difficulties they have to contend with in an Island like Ruapuke to acquire even sufficient money for the common necessities of life."

They also requested me to represent to the Government on their behalf that as the whole of the expense of erecting the school-room and muster's residence had been defrayed out of moneys to which they wore entitled, and in addition to this they had set apart ten acres of land as a school site, whether they would not be fairly entitled, in accordance with the Act, to expect that a portion of the amount so expended would be refunded to them; and if the Government were of opinion that they were entitled to consideration in the matter, they would suggest that the proportion payable to them from this source might be handed over to their Chairman to be placed in the bank, to aid them in defraying the first expenses of the school.

With reference to the proportion of the fees to be provided by the Native inhabitants for the maintenance of the schools, it will be seen by the foregoing resolution that the Natives are under the impression that this amount should be borne by the third instalment of the Stewart's Island purchase money; they urge that this money was withheld from them against their will in the first place, under the plea that it was to be made available for educational purposes. If, therefore, they are not to be benefited by that arrangement, now that the time has arrived to appreciate its advantages, they assert it would have been better that the money should have been shared amongst them at the time; and if this course had been pursued, they would be better able to understand why they are now called on to subscribe money for school purposes.

From the present temper of the Natives, I am fully convinced that nothing satisfactory can be done towards procuring the necessary funds for carrying on the school, as far as they are concerned, until they are first assured that money will be forthcoming from the aforesaid source. On that being definitely understood, I have every hope that they will render such assistance as lies in their power to promote the success of the school.

As it is very important that the school should be opened with as little delay as possible, I would beg to recommend, as the Natives have been led to believe that they would not be called on to provide any portion of the cost, that the Government, in consideration of the Stewart's Island money being still unproductive, and likely to be so for some time to come, would guarantee the payment of the one-fourth payable by the Native inhabitants, in addition to the three-fourths payable under the Act, for two years certain, or until such time as their own fund is in a position to bear the expenditure.

There is another very important matter that requires immediate attention, and that is, that the necessary school furniture should be provided as soon as possible. The school-room at present is entirely bare of accommodation, and if a master were to arrive at once, there is not the least convenience for carrying on the work of the school. A supply of books, slates, and other school requisites, are also required for immediate use. I also recommended in my report of February last, that a few fixtures should be made in the master's house, in the shape of a cupboard, dresser, &c.; it would be as well also to have a few shelves made at the same time. At present there is not the least accommodation in the house saving the bare walls, everything will have to be placed on the floor; the occupant whoever he may be will not be in a position either to help himself in the matter, as there is no suitable timber about the place for the purpose. It would not have added very much to the cost, if some little addition had been made to the interior comforts of the house while the contractors were on the spot. It seems a pity when building the house, that the fact of it being in an out-of-the-way locality like Ruapuke has been lost sight of, and that a few conveniences had not been added as an inducement for a person to take more kindly to the place.

I understand that Mr. Watt proposed writing for instructions respecting the necessary school furniture, but I am not aware whether he took action in the matter or no. At present the whole affair is at a standstill, and, as far as I can ascertain, the contractors have no instructions to put the work in hand.

If it is found necessary that a carpenter should go over to the Island to fit up the requisite school furniture, I would beg to recommend that he should be authorized to make the few improvements suggested by me in the master's house while there.

I had hoped to have been able to report, ere this, that the Native children in the neighborhood of Riverton were receiving school education, but, unfortunately, Mr. Cameron, master of the local school there, with whom I had made arrangements for teaching the children, subject to the approval of the Government, has been dismissed for misconduct by the Local Committee. Affairs there are, therefore, in statu quo.

There seems to be some fatality attending the establishment of schools for the Natives throughout the Southern Provinces. What with the indifference displayed by themselves, and the opposition of the Local Committees to admit Native children to the district schools, the whole of my efforts in that direction have been entirely fruitless; and, from the present aspect of affairs, it would Been almost hopeless to expect that a more satisfactory result can be anticipated for some time to come.

I called on Mr. Hislop, the Inspector of Schools at Dunedin, to ascertain if he could recommend a master for the Ruapuke school. He informed me that he knew of two competent persons wanting employment in that line, and recommended one of them, Mr. Henri, for the office. Mr. Henri is a married man, and, from all I can learn, appears to be a very suitable person for the situation; he has since called on Mr. Walt, at Mr. Hislop's recommendation, to leave his own and his wife's testimonials. Mrs. Henri is also a competent person, and has been accustomed to teaching.

The only uncertainty at present appears to be respecting the master's salary; if the Government page 179will guarantee the full amount of fees agreed on, viz., £4 per annum for each scholar, for say at least two years from the commencement of the school, such amount to be calculated in accordance with Clause 15 of the Act, I have little doubt but that the Ruapuke School can be opened immediately.

Trusting that the foregoing proposition may receive the favourable concurrence of the Government,

I have, &c.,
Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary, Native Department, Wellington.