Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 34. — The Under Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq

No. 34.
The Under Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq.

Native Office, Wellington, January 30th, 1867.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 31st December, I am directed by Mr. Richmond to request you at once to take steps for having the proposals contained in your letter, as to the investment of a portion of the £320 required for educational purposes at Ruapuke carried out. You are requested to obtain tenders for the erection of the school-house and master's house at Ruapuke, with the necessary school furniture for the former. If the tenders or any of them come within the estimate made by you, you are authorized to put the work in hand at once. It will be necessary that the land (10 acres), proposed to be given by the Natives should be accurately laid out, and a sufficient description of it given to have it brought under "The Native Reserves Act, 1856," Section XVI. It will be understood that the land will then vest (see Clause VII, "Native Reserves Amendment Act, 1862)," in Her Majesty for the purposes for which it is given by the Natives, and can be granted in trust for those purposes to trustees nominated by or on behalf of the Natives.

The Government will not however advise His Excellency to grant the land to any religious body, but only generally to trustees for educational purposes, on the understanding they provide funds for the erection of the necessary buildings.

The necessary authority to obtain the assent of the Natives will be forwarded to you. You will observe in recent numbers of the Gazette the form in which the assent is obtained.

I remark that there is no estimate for fencing the ground; which will probably be necessary.

A supply of school books can be forwarded from the Native Office.

I am to observe that you are under a misapprehension as to the present position of the £2000; page 175that sum produces no interest, and must shortly be invested as provided in the deed. On this subject and the provision for current expenditure you will be further communicated with.

I have, &c.,
W. RollestonUnder Secretary.

I. N. Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin.