Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 33. — I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 33.
I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Native Office, Southland, December 31st, 1866.

Sir,—

Referring to paragraph 2 of the letter No. 756, 15th October, 1866, I have the honour to inform you that the Rev. Mr. Wohlers has arrived from Ruapuke, and that, as directed by you, I have conferred with him respecting the investment of the £2000, and the employment of the £320 applicable to educational purposes for the benefit of the Maoris of Southland.

With respect to the investment of the £2000, we are of opinion that no purchase of land in the Province of Southland would render the amount as productive as it is at present, or yield a sufficient page 174annual return to provide for the instruction of the Native youth; we would, therefore, recommend that the money should remain in the hands of the Government at the interest of 8 per cent., as at present.

If the Government should he unwilling to retain the money, or if this proposal should not meet with your approval, we would then suggest that the money should be invested by way of mortgage on land in this Province, as a present income is of vastly more consequence than any prospective advantage that might be gained by making absolute purchases.

With respect to the employment of £320, accumulated interest on the above amount, we recommend that it be appropriated, as nearly as may be, as follows:—
School-house at Ruapuke£120
Master's house Ruapuke80
Books for Ruapuke and Riverton10
Furniture20
Hostelry at Bluff—
Purchase of land20
House70
£320

As there is already a good school-house at Riverton, built three years ago with the assistance of the Government, we have thought it right to recommend that the amount in question should be disbursed more particularly for the benefit of the residents of Ruapuke, especially as they are three times as many in number, and have as yet received no such assistance from Government.

It is doubful whether the building of a Native hostelry at the Bluff can be strictly deemed so expense to be incurred for educational purposes; but when it is understood that the Bluff is their market for their produce, that there are no Natives resident there, and that the weather in Foveaux's Strait renders it a matter of uncertainty whether they may not be detained a week or more at the Bluff before they can return to their homes. The urgent necessity of some such accommodation is apparent, to prevent them, in such cases, taking shelter at the public-houses, and the consequent injury to their sobriety and morals. I would, therefore, suggest, for your consideration, whether such an expenditure may not be considered subsidiary to education.

The Maoris are prepared to make a free gift of 10 acres of land at Ruapeka for sites for the school and master's house and garden.

If these recommendations should meet with the approval of the Government, we think the most beneficial appropriation of the annual interest would be as follows:—
Salary of master at Ruapuke£100
Matron20
Fees for Native scholars at European schools at Riverton30
Contingencies10
£160

I have, &c.,
I. Newton Watt, R.M.

The Under Secretary, Native Department.

I concur with Mr. Watt in the recommendations made in the foregoing letter.

I. F. H. Wohlers.