Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 30. — The Under Secretary, to I. N. Watt, Esq., R.M

No. 30.
The Under Secretary, to I. N. Watt, Esq., R.M.

Native Office, Wellington, November 30th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated the 31st October last, reporting the steps taken by you for the purpose of establishing a school at Riverton, and to convey to you his thanks for the same.

With regard to the concluding paragraph of your letter, Mr. Richmond desires me to say that page 173the requisite furniture for the school-room is approved, on the understanding that the expense does not exceed £20. The building of a chimney may very well wait till the success of the school has been proved by three months' experience. After the expiration of that period, you are requested to send in an estimate for it.

You are requested to consult with the Natives interested about the application of the rent of the £75 per annum, which Mr. Kingswell is to pay for the 2000 acres of land. It is possible that childless men may object, as we find is the case among Europeans, but if the disposal of the rent is generally approved by the Natives interested, the Government think the money cannot be spent for a better purpose.

I have, &c.,
H. Halse,Assistant Under Secretary.

I. Newton Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin.