Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 29. — I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Native Minister

No. 29.
I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Native Minister.

Dunedin, October 31st, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to report that in compliance with your instructions contained in Mr. Cooper's letter, No. 428, 22nd August, 1868 I, proceeded, on the 3rd instant, to Riverton, where, in page 172consequence of the Natives, through stress of weather, not arriving from Oraka and Kawhakaputaputa until the 5th, I remained until the 7th instant.

On my arrival I called upon Mr. Wardrop, the new teacher of the Government school at Riverton, and ascertained that he was willing to undertake the instruction of the Natives upon the terms that I had been previously instructed by Mr. Rolleston's letter, 102, 2nd March, 1868, to offer to Mr. Cameron. At the request of Mr. Wardrop, I remained in his school about two hours, and witnessed his method of instruction, being much pleased at the intelligence and emulation evinced by his pupils, and quite satisfied of his qualification for the office.

On the 6th instant, I held a meeting of the Natives, at which Mr. Wardrop was present. I read and explained to them the leading provisions of "The Native Schools Act," and urged upon them the importance of sending their children regularly and in a cleanly condition to school, both of which they promised to do as far as practicable, but they stated that their annual expedition, mutton bird catching, would interfere with the former for six weeks, and their poverty would prevent the most of the children being well clothed. I answered that their poverty need not prevent their attention to the cleanliness, and the mutton bird expedition would not prevent the regular attendance of the children during the rest of the year.

They were much pleased at the prospect of a school being established, and cheerfully promised to pay the five shillings per quarter for each child, but they did not appear to be aware that no payment is required from the Natives at Ruapuke, and I did not deem it prudent to inform them of it then. When they do learn it, I anticipate that they will not be satisfied unless they also be relieved from any contribution, and I would respectfully submit that the rent of £75 per annum, which Mr. Kingswell is to pay for the 2000 acres of land, will nearly meet the required £1 per scholar for the Riverton and Ruapuke schools, which it is desired that the Natives shall contribute. I would further urge, in favour of peculiar consideration being had for the Natives in Foveaux's Strait, that for want of Crown grants and the individualization of their titles, none of their reserves are yet yielding them any income.

Having settled the preliminaries, I called upon them to elect a Committee, when they unanimously elected the following members:—The Rev. Mr. Honare, Horomona Patu (Native Assessor), Tame Hokopu, Rawiri Te Awha, Hemi Wixon (a half-caste), Haimona Pakipaki, Paororo; of whom the Rev. Mr. Honare was elected Chairman.

I next requested them to give me the names of those who would be likely to attend the school, and took down the names of 43; and as they said they could make arrangements for the children of the smaller settlements of Oraka and Kawhakaputaputa to live at Riverton, I think an average attendance of nearly 30 pupils may be calculated upon.

They were anxious to have a teacher to themselves, instead of having their children taught in the afternoon after the European scholars, and asked me if I could not procure them one, I told them that it was principally a question of the number of scholars and the consequent payment to the master to whom it would be necessary to give at least £150, and for whom a house would also have to be found if he devoted his time entirely to their children. I also told them that, if the attendance amounted to 40 pupils, and they would give a site for a master's house, and convey it and the present school-house to the Governor for educational purposes, I thought the Government would entertain the proposition, but I advised them in the meantime to wait the result of the present arrangement.

I then informed them that the Government would furnish a supply of school books, &c., and that, as they had so largely contributed to the erection of their school house (by supplying all the material), I would apply to the Government for authority to procure desks and forms for them. £20 would I think be sufficient for this purpose, and for completing the lining of the school-house, which is not lined at one end.

The school-house is a good substantial building, in dimensions about 26ft. by 16ft., was erected in 1863, the Natives found all material, and the Government the carpenters work. For want of a teacher it has not hitherto been used as a school, but the Rev. Mr. Honare and Horomona Patu hold divine service there every Sunday alternately, not having been used as a school, the want of a chimney, has been felt, but will be required before the winter.

Before the meeting separated, Horomona Patu represented to me that they had no bell for the school, or clocks in their houses, by which to insure punctual attendance of the children, and I, therefore, presented them with a large bell, weighing 751b, as my subscription to the school.

After the meeting separated, I saw Dr. Densham, the Native medical attendant, and requested him from time to time to visit the school, and see that the children are free from skin diseases.

In conclusion, I respectfully beg to be instructed as to the requisite furniture for the school, the building of a chimney, and also whether, in view of the income now to be derived from the 2000 acres of land, the required contribution of £1 per scholar from the Natives may not be disbursed therefrom.

I have, &c.,
I. Newton Watt.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.